I got the call yesterday morning about The Crucible. I've been cast as Reverend Hale, the inquisitor sent to Salem to investigate the charges of witchcraft. While I was gunning for John Proctor, the part I've been offered is mighty tasty unto itself. The gentleman cast as the lead looked as if he'll do a fine job in that role. I look forward to working with him.
Still haven't heard anything about last week's film audition. Generally, when a week goes by with no word I consider that my answer, but man, they seemed so positive. I know, I know, that was probably a sure sign I wouldn't get it.
My head cold finally settled into my chest, now I have the most fantastic stuff coming out of me. Lung butter. This is annoying. I could have been out painting the town red. Or out doing something that doesn't suck as much as staying in because you're sick.
I had an interesting conversation with a friend recently, who auditioned for a local musical with a group I have not worked with. He had to sign a contract saying he would be responsible for $300 in ads, or pay it himself, 15 tickets sold by him, and a monetary fine for every rehearsal he was late to. Now, as far as I know, there is no pay involved with this show. I may have been in some shows where they pushed us to sell tickets/ads, but this seems a little overboard. Anyone else ever hear of this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Excuse me while I shake my head rather violently... $300 in ads or pay himself? WTF?! That is utterly ridiculous.
In Hollywood the 99-seat theatre "membership" is usually around $50-$100/mo and a dedication to working a few shows backstage, or clean the theatre, work boxoffice, etc. But asking each actor to "fund" the show they are performing, especially in the 300 bills range, is a sucker's game. Tell your friend he shouldn't be so desperate to do theatre of any sort if they are making him sign a contract where he owes them money.
And being fined for tardiness? Sigh... Shameful.
Congrats Hale. You'll do a spectacular job I'm sure.
I've never heard of this whole selling a required amount of ads and paying for lateness thing. I've heard of "cuss-buckets" where you throw in a quarter for every swear word used during a rehearsal/run and the money then goes to a cast party.
But flat out paying for shit? Hell to the no!
Post a Comment