I promised some description of the actual shooting of this movie, so I'll at least give you some of my thoughts.
First: Boy they spend money like it grows on trees. To think in any other business the kind of delays that they weren't fazed by, that cost them tens of thousands of dollars...it just wouldn't happen. I suppose when you HAVE money it isn't such a big deal.
Second: The 'stars.' They were good. Very good. Better than I've seen from people out here in the wilderness of Western MA? Can't really say so. Makes a fella wonder what would happen if he took the big shot at it.
Third: The PA's and AD's. You know, everything I've heard and read about being an extra made me leery of them. I gotta tell ya, they were AWESOME. They were never less than positive and usually seemed to be having a really good time. I was mentioning this to a PA (or extra wrangler, as I call them in my head) who was over and above cool and he said, "Hey, we're making movies. It's supposed to be a fun job. Us guys want it to be fun for everyone."
There was a band in some of these scenes, and they hired a real band, but the band never actually plays anything. The horn section couldn't...well...not play when they were together all that time. In holding they'd do a name-that-tune of your favorite movie themes and TV shows. Personal favorite: The Simpsons and the Star Wars Cantina. Every now and agian they'd get...into it. Next thing you know there's a full on Cajun horn jam happening. When the doors burst open you expected hellfire and damnation from the AD, but he couldn't get the smile off his face it was so much fun. So he'd clap for them and then plead for quiet. Good times.
I'm not sure how or why but I made, apparently, a favorable impression on the casting director. More work. Sweeeet.
Oh yeah, the shameless hitting on of young ladies reached a peak on the last day. Whoa. Now I wasn't cruising for the ladies on the shoot, but I felt like taking some of these guys by the shoulders and telling them to get some game or get the hell off the field. I would, really I would, tell you some of these openers but I just don't think you'd believe me. (Here's a tip fellas, don't start a come-on with, "I'm not coming on to you but...") Ah, the smell of desperation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lo, how I enjoy reading your persepective on it all.
Keep it coming.
And perhaps maybe a top ten list of shitty come on lines would be nice, too! Ugh - I can only imagine the size of the boots we'd need to wade through it all.
:)
Sounds like a blast. I haven't been on a set like that in a long time.
I don't know that I was ever desperate enough to use shitty pickup lines, but I know a few, and I'd LOVE to hear what was flying out there. And I Want to Believe.
Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great time.
Stephon
Post a Comment