I've had the displeasure of watching two movies that make me feel completely disgusted. The Strangers and Funny Games.
I'm getting a little tired of horror-type movies looking for the 'realness' of the genre. The Strangers, when not mindlessly boring, was nowhere near fun, mindless, offering little in the way of character development, and generally stupid. There was no point to the movie other than to watch innocent people be terrorized and ultimately murdered. There. I spoiled it for you. The good guys die, never had a chance. I have now saved you the nine dollars you would spend in a theater. I would rather watch Friday the 13th 2000 than this.
Funny Games I found even more disturbing. If you check out the discussion on the movie it's a statement about you the viewer. The director (who already made the movie in Germany but felt we would 'get it' better) wants you to believe that you can stop the torture at any time, just press stop.
Bullshit.
I rented this movie to watch a movie, not turn it off. Once again, no development, no reason for it to exist. There's easily a dozen shots that are longer than five minutes, none of which serve any purpose, unless the purpose was to bore me to tears.
Sorry, I rant.
(They all die in Funny Games, too. Just saved you two hours.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A six word story (a la Hemingway) that sums up all horror movies and why I don't watch them.
Teens Screw In Woods Then Die.
NAY!!
There are many horror movies that are far beyond that crap they tell you is horror. Three movies that can change your mind.
1. The Changeling
2. John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
3. Exorcist III
There are no teens, no woods, and no screwing.
Post a Comment