My laptop crashed.
I have three computers, but only the laptop had the whole of my first feature length screenplay. I've been in the heavy editing mode, trying to figure out if the thing is worth a damn. Last week, I got the Blue Screen of Death.
Another Windows re-install. I should become a Mac person. Of course, a repair wouldn't work. Safe mode wouldn't work. For complete hilarity, the flash drive I just bought (specifically for keeping my writing safe) hadn't actually had the script loaded onto it yet.
The good news. I had sixty pages of the first iteration on my office computer, so THAT most certainly went into the new flash drive. Also, after I finished the first draft (actually the second draft, but that's a long story) I printed it, so I could red-pen edit the thing. I have all those notes.
The bad news. Typing all the little changes from page one to page sixty is a royal pain in the ass. Also, I was on my third pass and stopped writing changes, just typing them into the computer, so all those are gone. I did some huge scene re-ordering, but I seem to be remembering that fairly well.
Sometimes I think it'll never get done. Actually, I know it'll never be DONE, but complete enough to show to people.
I hang my head in sorrow.
Oh yeah, Happy New Year, everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I imagine your script is still on the hard drive. If you haven't re-installed yet, I'd take the hard drive out of the laptop get an external enclosure and plug it into one of your other computers. Then you could copy it off, saving you a lot of re-typing.
I think most laptop hard drives are 2.5"
2.5" enclosures
Oh my GOD how FRUSTRATING. I hate when I am writing and lose a page, let alone an entire... yikes, you know what? I might be making this worse.
There is a common saying in the circle of writers I hang around with... "Write your first three screenplays. And then throw all of them out and write the one that will sell."
You are a 1/3 of the way there. :)
It is probably still on the HD unless you already did a reinstall (as KR spelled out). I've lost so many things with computers dying on me, you honestly think I would do a regular backup. But I don't. Sigh...
Work on your next script while waiting for tech repair to answer the phone. ;)
Alas, the reformat's already happened. But I think I've finally learned my lesson. Just purchased a 250 GB external HD to hold EVERYTHING.
So in the end, I win.
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Idle Downloads With NZB Downloads You Can Swiftly Find HD Movies, Games, Music, Software and Download Them @ Fast Speeds
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]
Put together the animalistic with two backs casinos? concoct assured of this issue [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] advisor and simulated online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also announce to our additional [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] running at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and approach legitimate tangled dough !
another latest [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] locality is www.ttittancasino.com , in compensation german gamblers, turn once again broken by well-wishing online casino bonus.
Post a Comment